Wednesday, March 8, 2017

A new start


Hello everyone! You probably are opening this blog with NO CLUE as to what I’m going to talk about! Well, except the fact that the website has “Nicole’s Project” within the title, and that the title of it is called “Nicole’s Film Intro.”

My partner Daniel Duboulay (one of the most talented people who I have the pleasure of knowing) and I have decided to create a two minute film introduction, which I believe is the best choice due to our strengths. The more technical elements of film production is my strength, while the art direction of a film is Daniel’s strength. We have worked together on multiple projects in the past, and have used our individual strengths to our advantage.

We both have begun to brainstorm ideas as to where exactly we want to start and what we want to work with and we decided that we wanted to base our introduction on a character, rather than a story. The story element will most certainly play an important role within the film (it is essential!) however we were thinking that we would focus on a particular character while they go about their particular situation/life.

I drew inspiration from the introduction of the film American Psycho, directed by Mary Harron. The introduction is a great example of introducing a character (and their quirks, tendencies, and personality) that leads into the rest of the film which then bases their story off of said character.

However, the main character of American Psycho (Patrick Bateman) is the exact opposite of the character which I want my film to be based around. Bateman is rich, white, and a terrible, murderous person. I would want my character to be a minority, who comes from simple upbringings (the extent of that simplicity is yet to be determined). Daniel agrees on the matter with me, and after thinking about which minorities we do not find enough representation of in the media, we decided upon on our character being a queer latina.

We have already begun researching on the representation patterns and statistics within the media of queer women, latinas, and (although incredibly hard to find, as they are so rarely represented) queer latinas. I will talk much more about the research which Daniel and I have begun to find in my next post.

I’m incredibly excited to begin this journey of pre-production, production, post-production and everything in between. I’m even more excited that you will be following me throughout this process. 

Until next post!

Nicole Abuid

Harron, M. (Director). (2000). American Psycho [Motion Picture]. United States: Lionsgate. Retrieved March 8th, 2017, from www.filmforager.com

No comments:

Post a Comment